Tuesday, January 29, 2008

1/29. an update to update from spencers dad. I will give you a bit on how he is doing and then a little chuckle of spence being spence.
medically everything is stable, he is still pretty much sedated all day except when they wake him to test his brain functions. this is when he will give us a thumbs up or for the first time it was a wave. He has been running a fever,which is not good in those with a brain injury because it causes the brain to do things to try to compensate. the docs have tried a bunch of different things to try to find the source (infection being the most likely) but nothing pinpointed yet. i am sure they will get it soon.

now for my little tidbit: last night i was there when it was time for the nurse to test his brain function. she tried to get him to raise his thumb,or put 2 fingers up but he was not cooperating. (he hates this). but anyway i started in about him having to do this so the nurse would stop and leave him alone. i was in ear telling him to give me a thumbs up but he had a better idea, he flipped me the bird!!!!! i cracked up, i had to tell him i was not laughing at him. i ended it with an " i love you" and got a raised fist in return. i know he was telling me he was staying STRONG!!

please keep the prayers and good thoughts going. I KNOW they are working

6 comments:

Brittany Lavoie said...

dave, thanks for putting that little tid-bit in there. it got me to laugh and put the biggest smile on my face. spencer's a strong kid, i'm praying every single night. let me know if there's anything i can do.

<3 brittany.

flygirlsmama said...

Way to go Spencer! As your dad knows, the bird can be very effective!!

The Demon Barber of Warren St said...

That is truly Spencer for ya!! I love ya Spence we still miss you!!!...Me Brit and Kiersten got you something special yesturday but I won't say what it is because I don't want to ruin the surprise. You'll love it though!! can't wait to see you...keep fighting (or flipping lol)
<3 Erin

Auntie Shannon said...

I love you Wilbur!!!! We know you will pull through this! You are a strong and wise beyond your years!! I will see you Friday with lots of kisses from Melina and I!!!!
Stay strong D and Dave!!! I am there for you guys and the kids!!

Heather said...

Way to go spence or "nice" as you always say... we miss and love you so much.. Remember to stay strong.. We're all waiting to see ya...

<3 Heather

Unknown said...

Ha! true spence-ness for ya! trust you, spence, to make me laugh while you are still in the hospital! stay strong dude! Get Well! you and the rest of the Nutts are never out of my thoughts, ~Jen